Sunday, May 21, 2006

Leonardo

I was so close in my decision to not waking up at all this morning, but I remembered I had to do the Big Walk with some colleagues. I hate trading off Sunday mornings with this mass orgy. More so after coming home late the previous night.

Watched The Da Vinci Code with M. Thank goodness they've made the film because I've always wanted to know what's the big hoopla was with Dan Brown's book. I may have the patience and tenacity to read Middlemarch and Ulysses but not necessarily the right frame of mind for Code. I'm a snob like this, I know.

Anyways, now I know why most Catholics and Christians are up in arm on this. The book is essentially about the search for the Holy Grail and Dan Brown's theory of the Sacred Feminine is provocative. Who would have thought that Christ wanted a woman to lead the Church?

The Church's presentation of Mary Magdalene as a not very wholesome person and who was always associated with the dangers of the flesh is pretty obvious to even a non-Christian like myself. In western literature canon some authors depict her as a whore. In this form, she typified the prevailing attitudes towards women and sex. Hell, there was a lot of misogyny back then.

Another central question is Christ's resurrection. The book, [in the film, at least] through various dialogues suggest otherwise. This is important stuff for Christians because their whole faith depends on it. If Christ be not risen, then what? The Christian religion is meaningless without a resurrection to look forward to.

And what about Brown's Sacred Feminine? The book purports the bloodline of Christ that still lives! Through Mary, no less! This novel advocates the thesis that Jesus was in fact married to Mary Magdalene, that they had a child together, and that this "truth" was covered up by the church for self-serving reasons.

Urgh... I think I stop here and type something irrelevant now.

I love Audrey Tautou in Amelie, Dirty Pretty Things and The Long Engagement. And now I had the pleasure of watching her in The Da Vinci Code.

Leonardo' genius

The mind sees what it chooses wants to see. I'd really love to see this magnificent work.


But I did get the chance to see this in Lourve. Overated and one scary "lady". Rubenesque was definitely 'in' during Leonardo's time. I told M I don't care for 'over-fleshy' women at all. Lol!


Tautou. Hmmpff! Much better!

1 Comments:

At 12:17 pm, Blogger sugar said...

ehem...nope you dun care at all abt FAT women! lol~ as long as i'm not... :p

this Audrey jamz ah! i lurve her accent...can make any man weak in the knees! hehe..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home