Monday, September 12, 2005

I Was Floored

I knew today was going to be a busy day for me and fcuk it didn't disappoint me one bit. I received an sms from a colleague in the morning asking if I could do some prep work on her behalf. She was going to see the doctor and therefore needed help in arranging for this particular session in the afternoon and she wasn't sure if she'd be back on time at 1 pm. I said ok.

When I got to the office I tried calling a training vendor to inform her that I couldn't make any changes to my proposed training programme, which is another upcoming project. I couldn't get hold of her and so I left a message with the assistant. At about 10 am, her Development Manager called me to change the 15th Sep date to somewhere late September. He was very diplomatic, giving me all the rationale and reasons for changing the date, but I told him that I'd discuss it with my boss. I ended the conversation right away and got back to doing the prep work for my colleague.

After my colleague's session ended at 2pm I was left with an hour to prepare for a meeting at 3pm.

Everyone hates to be rushed. Especially virgos because we warmup late and we get picky over details. But there are times when rushing things can seem to take you to another level. So sometimes when I rush, I find I'm more 'pumped' that way plus I have a high tolerance for pressure and deadlines.

But what happened today was beyond expectation. The room that we booked [since last week] for the meeting had been 'hijacked' by someone, and this 'someone' is like the second top dude in workplace. Argghhh... "Cie la vie", I told myself you just have to make way. Luckily I had found another room to accommodate but alas that room didn't have a projector. What the ... How am I going to do my demo to all these people?

While figuring out something I felt this headache creeping up my skull. The throb on my temples [I know this may sound vulgar, but that's what it is, throb] was really awful. I thought it could be that I skipped lunch, but it didn't dawn on me that I was actually suppressing my annoyance for all the 'kartun' situation that I was in. So what did I do? I just laughed it off and hope that everyone could see the laptop screen. In the end we managed to inform the committee members what we wanted them to know.

4 pm 'nish' I called the training Dev. Manager again to tell him of my decision. It was my turn to be diplomatic. Left a message in his voicemail and proceeded to do some paperwork. By this time the headache had somewhat reduced. And then my colleague peered over to my workstation to say her thanks for helping her out that afternoon. She then came over to my table and showed me something. Something that really floored me. I mean I can be very aloof when inundated with work, but when I saw it I was like, "Oh my god!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home