Saturday, September 10, 2005

Welcome to Tekong... Recruit!

Time flies - and with it remnants of the memories you've been holding on. I went to Tekong to 'see' my nephew off for his BMT. I remember vividly the last night of BMT when my platoon buddies were given our posting. It was a bitter-sweet night for me and some of my friends because so much had happened during our training at Tekong. We were at Camp 3 and in Hawk Coy for 3 months and we just couldn't contain our excitement leaving the place. If I could list them out one by one, it'd be tedious, but for now, I think this should be enough.

All the stories, anecdotes, and cliches of how NS changes your life and your life perspectives and is a 'passage' for boys into men are true.

Damn right Tekong has changed its physical landscape and I hardly recognised the place when I got there, but I know my nephew will be going through the same quintessential army experience. It will be his story now and a different one at that but the purpose of NS is still the same.

Here are some pics I took using my O2, as usual.

The BMT school when we got off from the ferry. Looks like a resort from far.

The school front facade and the recruits bunk. Good grief... What luxury these recruits have! Lol..

The metal cabinet, which will be a mini-altar for some recruits and junk food stowaways for some. Others will decorate their cabinets with sleazy photos and while others will put pictures of their girlfriends and let their Sargeants and Corporals gawk at them. A 'Kiblat' pointing to Mecca - how cool is that?

The sports complex and an elevated pic taken from the canteen.

Well... that's that... After lunch at the cookhouse we began to make our way back home. But not before his parents said their goodbyes and some last minute reminders to my nephew. And you know parents at their sons' BMT sending off, hmm... can be 'cumbersome' right? Thank god I didn't see any of that.

As for me? I urged him to keep his very own BMT journal lol... other uncles give precious advice on training matters and what to expect, I on the other hand told him to write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home