Sunday, September 04, 2005

The Night Visitor

11.59pm and the witching hour is here. Read on...

Let man ponder his birth.
How he was created
Out of a drop emitted
From between the backbone and the ribs.
God has the power
To bring him back
To life after death
On that Day
All his secrets
Will be known.
He will stand hopelessly
With no one to help him.
Surah LXXXVI: Al-Tariq (The Night Visitor)

You know I've read some of the most erudite and beautiful poems back in school. I tried to understand, memorise and even internalise them so that I can quote with ease in examinations. Those were the days. But as I'm re-reading this book called Muhammad and the Quran by Rafiq Zakaria [Penguin 1991] I begin to have regrets for not continuing my arabic language lessons.

After years of study in English literature I have grown to be so attached to works in the canon and have developed a decent appreciation of texts, any texts. But to think that I've waited all this time to be moved by a simple verse in the Quran - how foolish I was.

Words in essence are merely reconstruction of man - but who and what gave man the inspiration? And as I read the translated verses I'm cautious not to let my mind operate or approach them like I'm reading Blake or Morrison. That'd be just blasphemy if I did! There comes a time in a man's life and age - if you're not yet moved by Him, you will never ever receive his Grace and so your heart will remain close and dark till you die. I don't want to be that person.

Goodnight, dear readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home