Saturday, August 13, 2005

Good Chocolates

"Twice a day, on his way to and from school, little Charlie Bucket had to walk right past the gates of the factory. And every time he went by he would begin to walk very, very slowly, and he would hold his nose high in the air and take long deep sniffs of the gorgeous chocolatey smell all around him. Oh, how he loved that smell! And oh, how he wished he could go inside the factory and see what it was like." Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.

Saw the movie this afternoon with M after we visited my colleague's open house at Pasir Ris. I'm just a sucker for movies that have hope and longing themes in them. I don't know why, but I think I'm stupid that way. Can you imagine I thoroughly dig movies as diverse as The Shawshank Redemption to Out of Africa? Lol. Anyway, even though the book has a predominantly moralistic and even sinister tone to it, I still choose to be moved by Charlie's hopes and longings.

Purists out there may dismiss this version as yet another Hollywood attempt to bastardise a classic book or the movie version starring Gene Wilder. Though I want to categorically say that I'm not a Hollywood supporter I do however think it has many bastards... I'm off tangent here, but really, I've seen that version and I've read the book both as a kid and as an adult, and I certainly like this one by director Tim Burton too. There you go. I'm sooooo happy and I'm now going to raid the fridge for some misplaced M&Ms I put in a few days ago.

p.s. I read this somewhere. Did you know that eating dark chocolates reduces the risk of heart disease? Or was that heart attack?

1 Comments:

At 10:03 pm, Blogger Summersnail said...

Good grief... my 'Post a Comment' has turned to a 'Post your Advertisements Here.'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home