Thursday, August 04, 2005

Extraneous

After hours of rehearsals on stage and doing dry-runs we finally came to the point of, "This is it, tomorrow is The Day." Now I seriously don't know how well our National Day Observance ceremony will turn out, but the number of hours put into rehearsals cannot equate slick performance, can it? Everyone seemed to be in high spirits, unlike yesterday, where our performance was scrutinised by the big M and as a result we had to make changes to it. Or were that concessions?

It was only today we managed to pin it down after someone videotaped our lacklustre performance. God, I looked like a prancing primate doing the dikir barat. Aaahaha. At one point we were so enthusiastic with our performance that silliness just crept in us. And the jokes kept flowing and were rather boisterous. I even witnessed some of the ladies cut it loose. Hmmm... there is still hope in this place after all. Lol~ And I thought life and interaction in this place would be sedate.

Anyways... the ladies were pretty unison in their clapping and movements, but the guys weren't half as bad.

Imagine saying this Dikir Barat chorus over and over with some of the most mundane and repetitive movements ever...!

This is the story of our country
It's the one that we love so dearly
It's our history, it's not fantasy
Listen well now and reflect with me...
At times I'd ask myself why am I involved in this merepek stuff. Did I leave TT to do all this? It was definitely not mentioned during the interview. If the job scope fits me, the extraneous activities that come along working in this place have only questioned my own sense of acceptance and efforts in trying to fit in the culture. I hope this is all just a passing phase.

But I really had to give it to the tukang karut guy, man..., he's the one who leads the group and provides the anchor despite him not feeling too well today. Now that's professionalism that I can certainly identify with!

5pm onwards and I still had to toggle myself between the auditorium and my workstation for I had to do some follow-up on yesterday's lunch talk. It didn't feel good as I stole time during the rehearsals to do some paperwork while some of my committee members were fine-tuning the programme flow into perfection.

I also got to spent a couple of minutes with some of them after the rehearsals and I took the opportunity to tok cock. The conversation somehow steered to my blog and being the cyber exhibitionist that I am, I gave them my blog name. I couldn't help it, so there you go!

1 Comments:

At 11:27 pm, Blogger Summersnail said...

huh? it was in the news?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home