Sunday, September 24, 2006

Ramadan

Once again, you're about to go through another Ramadan and appreciate the morning that you had lived long enough to begin another pre-dawn meal. When I was a young boy Ramadan was only a ritual I observed after being trained to do so.

There wasn't much internalisation going on in those days except for the fact that you were ingrained to be 'berdosa besar' or a big sinner if you skipped your fast. I knew it was supposed to mean more than merely abstaining from food and water, but its deeper and elegant significance didn't mean much when you were young. I was a real good boy back then, but there were times even I had 'cheated' by drinking tap water in primary school and appeared all quiet and calm upon reaching home.

Times were different back then and I'm not a changeling anymore.

Here's a thought -- I reminisce and speak freely of my shortcomings and my flaws. I love the little child that I was and I'm still learning from that child; till I'll have no ego to injure myself.

2 Comments:

At 6:30 am, Blogger raimie said...

yup...those times when i was young...those times...

 
At 5:27 am, Blogger Summersnail said...

Hehe.. it's comforting to know I'm not alone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home