Sunday, July 30, 2006

Durian from The Other Island


The old folks yesterday brought home some durians from Ubin. No freaking market classification or the styro-cellophane wrapped types you'd see in supermarkets; just simple durians picked from the fruit orchard surrounding my late grandparents' house in Ubin.

It's not a best kept secret anymore that Ubin has a few Malay kampung houses still standing and lovingly maintained, mind you. All you need to do when you get on the island is to rent a mountain bike and cycle along its tarred path and pretty soon you'll come upon the cluster of Malay Kampong houses I'm referring to.

If you're too chicken shit you may want to stop by at the information kiosk to get a map. But really, if you cycled on the path it's hard for you to get lost in Ubin. That'd be an insult to the people who had lived there for many years if you did.

I took these using my Atom. Now I'm not sure if that's good considering it's only 2 megapixels. It has also been the main reason why I will never buy a digital camera because my needs like the Ubin durian, are simple and straightforward -- no fuss. No, durians don't have needs but you get my drift, lol! The durian pic was taken after I had upgraded the Atom firmware. For a close-up shot I think the quality is passable.

5 Comments:

At 9:51 pm, Blogger sugar said...

bestnye...dats my favourite fruit!!! nak skit bley?? ;p

 
At 10:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, my dad juz got back with durian, too! but from pasar malam ;D not as fresh ;D it's cool that your late grandparents have a house in Ubin... it's waaay cool :)

 
At 1:31 pm, Blogger raimie said...

i want a kampung to call my own but not possible leh...my real kampung place is far far away...

 
At 4:46 pm, Blogger Xo Xo...Sweet Success! said...

ello, I had durian yesterday!

Yeeey!

 
At 1:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone seems to be having a DURIAN of a time ;D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home