Thursday, October 19, 2006

How 'Kolot' My Community Can Be

A few days back an article in Berita Harian ran a story about this kurma, or date. A series chain of email, with its origin unknown, has been making its round and causing discomfit for quite a many netizens. When I first read that email I couldn't help but feel sorry for the person who wrote it.

Look at the date on your right. This product is from Iran. What does it tell you? What do you feel? Do you think the image looks like the Virgin Mary? Did that association cross your mind? And if it did, were you bother by it?

The trouble with some folks out there, and I mean the Malay Muslim community here, and [this taleban, rigid-like paranoia isn't exclusive in this country]; is that they tend to take, interpret, read, things too literally. These rabid ultra Islamists, [oklah let's not use that word] - let's refer them -- believers, for they too, worship the same God that I worship, just love to stir shit. So what if the image looks like Virgin Mary? You're not worshipping her, right? Some shaken netizens went so far as to claim that the dates are cleansed in Holy water. Seriously, if there was a conspiracy to convert millions of Muslims out there, you'd stand a better chance of doing so by -- eating dates? Whatever happens to your conviction in the faith?

You know how the community reacts when they're faced with unknown entity and this is a perfect example of misplaced text and context here. They get angry, they get mad and they want everybody to stay away, and boycott the product. I'm not sure if this 'kolot' reaction was because the image was associated to Virgin Mary and that she is a venerated figure in the Quran or it's because the 'kolot' mentality in them freaks out each time they see a biblical, iconic association in their face. In either case, I pity them more than the importer of these dates.

6 Comments:

At 10:24 am, Blogger sugar said...

hmm..it didn't even cross my mind that the lady looks like a virgin mary. i've got 1 box similar to this at home. anyway, i still eat the dates.

and i dun believe that the dates have been cleansed in holy water...merepek eh!

 
At 12:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh no wonder the pic looks familiar. I got one in my fridge, my mother in law bought for me.

Anyway, date nyer pasal pun mau gaduh ke?
If yg botol2 tu takde lak org bising eh

 
At 9:08 pm, Blogger Uja said...

Ah yes, another reason why this is a reminder why we all need to educate ourselves, so we can educate the rest!I agree with you that I feel pity for the individuals who subscribe so easily to such thinkings, because convenient logic is the best way out.

Anyway, I miss this article in BH (thank God or I would have been mad mad mad!). But in Iran, this church-like art is ubiquitous - the paintings of the imams the Iranians revered and even of Ayotallah, is reminiscent of the style of how Jesus and Mary were painted. Its simple really. I am not an art historian, but I am sure we all borrow painting styles from some era.

I wish our community is more thorough in the way they postulate their opinions. May Allah help us occupy our times to better ourselves. Amin.

Sorry bro, panjang betul comment ni.

 
At 5:35 am, Blogger raimie said...

yup, received d mail but i ignored it...nice dates though...hehehe...

 
At 10:40 am, Blogger papayaface said...

peduli apa pecah ah...(extract from Ali Baba Bujang Lapok)

 
At 5:42 pm, Blogger SomeDol said...

Paranoia, I agree with you bro, why immerse ourselves in something that dumb. Honestly, I couldn't careless if it depicted the Virgin Mary or the $20/hour whore, as long as it's halal.

Let's just leave the rest to Him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home